Organic Robusta Coffee Beans - 12 Beans
Organic Robusta Coffee Beans
Coffea robusta (syn. Coffea canephora)
Description: Robusta coffee, is a species of coffee that has its origins in central and western sub Saharan Africa The plant has a shallow root system and grows as a robust tree or shrub to about 20 feet. It flowers irregularly, taking about 10 to 11 months for cherries to ripen, producing oval shaped beans. Roasted robusta beans produce a strong, full bodied coffee with a distinctive earthy flavor, but usually with more bitterness than arabica. It is easy to care for, has a greater crop yield, has almost double the amount of caffeine and more antioxidants, and is less susceptible to disease than other varieties.
Category: Tropical / Tender Perennials
Height: 12 to 20 feet. (3.6 to 4.7 meters)
Spacing: 8 to 10 feet. (2.4 to 3 meters)
USDA Zone: 9b to 11
Sun: Light shade to full sun
Flower Color: White to Creamy White
Bloom Time: Mid Spring
Foliage: Grown for foliage, Evergreen, Smooth-Textured
Other details: Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater. This plant is suitable for growing indoors, in smaller plots, and does very well in containers and raised beds.
Soil: Loam to slightly clayey.
Soil pH: 5.0 to 6.0
Propagation: From seed; sow indoors before last frost, transplant to exterior location after last frost.
Height & Spread: 10 to 15 feet tall to 8 to 15 feet wide:
Plant habit: Round and dense
Growth rate: Fast
Plant Texture: Medium
Leaf: 4 to 8 inches, green, minimal fall color
Fruit: Oval, .5-inch, fleshy, bright red
Discussion: This plant has outstanding ornamental features and could be planted more for it beauty and resources. Very easy to maintain indoors and out. Makes a wonderful greenhouse plant.
Uses: Dried seeds "beans" are roasted, ground, and brewed to make one of the two most important beverages in the western world. In its native Ethiopia, used as a masticatory since ancient times, it is also cooked in butter to make rich flat cakes. In Arabia a fermented drink from the pulp is consumed. Coffee is widely used as a flavoring, as in ice cream, pastries, candies, and liqueurs. Source of caffeine, dried ripe seeds are used as a stimulant, nervine, and diuretic, acting on central nervous system, kidneys, heart, and muscles. Indonesians and Malaysians prepare an infusion from dried leaves. Coffee pulp and parchment used as manures and mulches and is occasionally fed to cattle in India. Coffelite, a type of plastic, made from coffee beans. Wood is hard, dense, durable, takes a good polish, and is suitable for tables, chairs, and turnery. Coffee with iodine is used as a deodorant. Caffeine has been described as a natural herbicide, selectively inhibiting germination of seeds of Amaranthus spinosus.
Cultivation: Propagation is by seed; however, budding, grafting, and cuttings have been used by the commercial industry to increase production of plants for field use. Traditional method is to plant on virgin soil is to put 6 seeds In each hole 2 feet wide, 4 inches deep at the beginning of rainy season. Half are eliminated naturally.
Discussion: Plants may be shaded by taller trees or left unshaded. Coffee is often intercropped with food crops, such as corn, beans, or rice, during the first few years. Clean weed control is necessary throughout the entire season. Pruning is common practice in some districts. Mulches and green manure are commonly used with chemical fertilizers coming more and more into use. Typical application consists of 175 g N per bush, 100 g P, and 175 g K. P and K added in two applications and N added over a longer period with 4-5 applications. Other elements added as soils require them. Shading tends to favor leaf and shoot growth at the expense of root growth. It may be useful when plants are young, but later shading may reduce yields, especially when the trees are fertilized. Average economic age of plants 30-40 years, with some 100-year-old plantations still bearing. Trees come into bearing 2-3 years after planting and are in full bearing at 4-5 years. Fruits mature 3-5 months after flowering. Selective picking of ripe red fruits produces highest quality. Crop ripens over a period of several weeks. In Brazil all berries are stripped at one time onto ground cloths, usually in April to June; in Ethiopia, harvest season is October to December after the rainy season. Berries are dried in sun; in some humid areas, artificial heat is used. Depulping after picking is increasingly practiced.
All Other Countries
First Item: $6.99
Additional Items: $0.99
First Item: $3.99
Additional Items: $0.69
DownrightNatural Policies & Guidelines
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Estimated shipping times
* Australia: 7-21 business days
* Canada: 3-10 business days
* North America: 3-5 business days
* Europe: 7-14 business days
* Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania: 7-14 business days
* Asia Pacific: 14-21 business days
* Latin America and the Caribbean: 7-14 business days
* North Africa and the Middle East: 14-28 business days
* Sub-Saharan Africa: 14-21 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates but cannot guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
* Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
* Contact me within: 3 days of delivery
* Ship items back within: 7 days of delivery
* Request a cancellation within: 24 hours of purchase
The following items can't be returned or exchanged
* Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
* Custom or personalized orders
* Perishable products (like food or flowers)
Conditions of return
* Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Questions about your order?
* Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
* I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
* To communicate with you about your order
* To fulfill your order
* For legal reasons (like paying taxes)
Custom and personalized orders
* Please contact us for customized or personalized items. They are not listed here on ArtFire, but we do offer this service, when applicable or available.
* All seeds currently listed on ArtFire are available in custom quantities.
* Please contact us for wholesale amounts not listed in our store. We carry wholesale lots of seed and other Organic Supplies.
* Do to crops, availability of seed or items, and other constraints, we will do what we can to fulfill any wholesale request.
* Wholesale quantities can be found on www.downrightnatural.com
Gift wrapping and packaging
* We do not currently offer gift wrapping services.
* Seeds: Since all seeds are different, even within the same species, their care, storage, planting, germination, care, maintenance, and harvesting are all different. I try to present all of the important information in my listings and included in the packaging if requested. (If you have any questions regarding a purchase, please contact me, and I will help where I am able.)
* Handcrafted & Wildcrafted items: Due to the unique qualities inherent in the various hand and wildcrafted items I offer, each one has differing care and storage concerns. Please contact me for detailed or specific information regarding your purchase for further instructions or assistance.
Scarification & Stratification of Seeds
* When applicable, all seeds are stored in temperature and humidity controlled environments. This either stratifies or partially stratifies the seeds in question. We do not, and will not, scarify seed prior to shipment. (This is done to reduce the chance of pathogens or microbes inhibiting or destroying the seed during transit.) If you have any questions regarding stratification and scarification of a particular seed, please contact me directly, and I will help you with what to do and how to do it for optimum results.
International Orders (Standardized English [Latin Characters] spelling for ease of delivery)
* If your order is for a destination outside the United States, please provide standardized English spellings for postal addresses. (Cyrillic, East Asian, or other local address languages cannot be processed in a reasonable time by the USPS.)
* I ask you to do this is to avoid delays, refusals, and returns for your items when the address provided is not able to be easily understood by the United States Postal Service; or the characters printed are not readable due to system or computer constraints, both in printing and by processing by the various postal entities.
* I will include your address in English (Standard Latin alphabet) as well as provided by you for easy of handling and delivery by all postal authorities handling the package.
* Please contact me with any questions regarding your postal address or options you desire.
International Payments for Orders
* If you live outside of the United States and are ordering from DownrightNatural and paying by any other method that requires you to mail payment to us. Please ensure the following is followed 100%, or your order may not be fulfilled and your payment returned:
* 1) All orders MUST include your ARTFIRE ORDER NUMBER
* 2) All order must Include your PROPER MAILING ADDRESS
* 3) All Payment MUST be made payable in US DOLLARS (US$)
* 4) Payment MUST be received within 14 days, or your order will be CANCELLED
* 5) International Personal Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 6) International Business Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 7) Payment in anything but UNITED STATES DOLLARS will NOT BE HONORED
(I am sorry if this seems blunt, but, the fees to process your payment in anythign but US Dollars is cost prohibitive
to providing you economical seeds and crafts.)
I asked a question three times about some seeds I purchased from them. still waiting for answer. Its been over two weeks. I won't buy from them any more.
Purchased monkey puzzle tree seeds. They arrived on time and in acceptable packaging, but the seeds are way too tiny. This type of tree produces large seeds, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in length. The seeds I received where not even 1/16 of an inch.
Emailed seller twice regarding my surprise and concern and have not received a response.
My recommendation: Find another seller.