I've been working on some vintage patterns lately, my creative side working. I was given a box of stuff and in it was a cut out vintage dress waiting to beÂ stitched. I thought that would be a good place to start a sewing project since it has been awhile since I actually made something. The pattern was a 1940s sun dress and the fabric was a lovely white cotton seersucker with green and white leaf print.Â
Now, with that finished, I'm working on a 1951 McCall's blouse pattern using new fabric from Wal-mart (I love the prints there and for the price it is better than working a pattern with just muslin, IÂ actuallyÂ have a finished garment to wear.) The fabric is an open-weave apricot with white cotton shapes. I had to enlarge the pattern, it was a vintage size 12, bust 30", to a modern size 12, bust 36". So we'll see how well my skills are and how much I remember from my year in fashion design school. Oh, and the sleeve pieces were missing from the pattern, but I found a nice sleeve pattern I liked from a 1950s dress pattern.Â
Here's the sundress:
Here's the blouse:
I did a slash and spread when adding inches to the pattern. My shoulders and neckline were fine with theÂ originalÂ pattern.